Friday, September 10, 2004

And... We're Out

Working on getting past page 100 of Book Two. Sending out another half dozen agent letters for Book 1 this weekend.

See you all again on Monday!

3 comments so far. What are your thoughts?

Anonymous said...

Heh, I'll be doing the agent dance by the end of this year. I'm starting to look forward to it.

--Simon Owens

www.livejournal.com/users/sdowens

Kameron Hurley said...

Simon -

Hope you have better luck than I have!

For the record, I think Jennifer Jackson over at Donald Maass is still actively seeking new clients (she turned me down nicely, but said that if I rewrite or have other work to send her, to go ahead - yes, I'm rewriting, and working on new books...). The biggest things working against me right now are 1) for all intents and purposes, I'm a "newbie" without a lot of splash in the genre and no sales in the bigger zines 2) the book length. It's 180K, a first novel fantasy, and few people want anything over 125K for a first-timer's first novel (fantasy or not). I think they see the word count on the query letter and blanch.

Ah, well. More letters, more letters.... It's a damn good book, a damn good series, and I believe in it. When I run out of agents and publishers, I'll shelve it, write another book, sell that one instead, and wait for the right time to relaunch interest in this book.

It's a persistence game. It's knocking on peole's doors until they get so sick of you knocking that they pause to listen to what you have to say. Till then, I'm going to write anyway...

Anonymous said...

My fiction is very light on speculative aspects, I doubt that Jackson would be very interested in my work.

--Simon