Tuesday, March 22, 2005

What I'm Up To

Have finally started studying for the LSATs in earnest, meaning I've been equally appalled at how incredibly poor my diagnostic score was, and interested in figuring out how to figure it out. It's learning how to think another way, and it's challenging, in its way. This is what I've been doing at work instead of blogging, that and wishing I had an extra pair of contact lenses... can't get around to my eye appointment until this weekend, and my eyes are pissed at me.

I've got a lot of stuff to get together over the next 6 or 8 months, and it's just hitting me that I'm at the ass-end of March, moving full-on into Spring, and I don't know where I'll be headed next Spring (as I recall, my lease for 2006 will end May 30th). So I've got a lot of thinking to do, and a lot of planning. Have started looking at law schools in Chicago, expecially those that offer part-time night schedules that'll let me have an actual income while I'm going to school. Not sure if that's the best way to go: in a perfect world, the school would be free and the state would support me while I bettered myself. In return, I could be drafted as a state attorney for two years.

But, ah, what kind of a country would that be? Doctors and lawyers getting "free" education in return for a couple of years public service. Might lower health care costs...

Have also gotten stuck in a nervous-eating mode, as I'm stressed on a couple of other levels right now, the sort that just take time to hit a resolution on their own, at which point the stress will be either over or just beginning. Can't wait until that's done, cause I ate way too many bagels today. That's the problem with letting up my eating habits for the weekend - it tends to take me a lot longer to get back on track.

Sad, sad. Easing back into MA classes. Hoping to have a full work-out schedule again by next week.

2 comments so far. What are your thoughts?

Anonymous said...

As someone going to law school this fall (and don't ask me where I'm going - that would require schools to actually, you know, respond to my applications) I can offer a bit of advice about finances.

I'm not sure where you want to go after law school, but I'm planning on working in public service: either at PP or a prosecutor's office. So I will obviously be making far less than my fellow graduates who will start out making a median of $125,000. And that means I won't be able to pay back my loans. Hmmmm. But, some very expensive, very selective, very well-endowed schools have these loan repayment programs. Meaning that if you go into public service after law school they will help you pay back all or some of your loans for a set number of years. Some government jobs also have loan repayment programs. And of course there are always loans, merit and need based scholarships.

And I would never work while in law school, but then again I don't think I'd manage to retain my sanity.  

Posted by Rebecca

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the note about loan repayment. That's definately something I need to check out.

And yea, working while in law school... sweet fuck, I hate to even bring up the option, but money is such a big concern for me as it is. I already have a stew of student loans and other expenses, and the only way I can think of right now to make everything work is to... work during the day and do law school at night. I don't like the idea, but I'm chewing on it, for now. It fucks with my martial arts stuff if I do it that way, and that doesn't please me much, either.

All told, I'd much prefer to do law school full time and get it done with. If I can look more into those loan repayment programs, it might make the idea of living totally on loans more agreeable... 

Posted by Kameron Hurley