Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Movin' On Up

Had a couple of guys come by to view our apartment yesterday. As I showed one of them the living room I said, "If you've got fewer books that we do, there's actually a lot more room in here."

He laughed and said, "Oh, I've got more books than you do."

Then he walked into the dining room and its Wall-O-Books.

"OK," he said, "Maybe not."

And he hadn't even seen mine or Jenn's room yet...

Me, Jenn, and Jenn's SO are gonna be moving up to the third floor where we'll have three bedrooms and a neat 3-way split for rent and possibly utilities. We'll also be at the top of the brownstone building, meaning our back porch will no longer be a thoroughfare (I have secret hopes that I can get a punching bag and put it out there), no pounding from upstairs neighbors, and we can leave the windows open as much as we want.... ahhhhh. As somebody who lives to have the windows open, that's a major plus.

The downside?

We're not sure how we're going to fit all three people's books up there...

Overall, it'll be a fun move. We're relinquishing our place August 1st, likely moving upstairs a little before that, as soon as our upstairs people vacate (she's going to law school in Milwaukee). If anybody's interested in a 2 bedroom in Uptown for 1K a month, have I got a deal for you...

In other news, things are pretty good on this front. I'm heading to New York Thursday night to hang out with B for the weekend, which should be nice and relaxing. He intends to bust out a bottle of champagne, we'll likely see Batman Begins, and then watch some pro boxing on Saturday (at some point I'm actually going to be able to follow the who's who of pro boxing). Should be a good time.

Jenn's SO is in London, so I get to be her date tonight, and we're going to see if we can catch Howl's Moving Castle. I have no idea what this movie's about, but I keep seeing the name everywhere...

The writing is... writing, research is being done, and I'm feeling good about it.

It's looking to be a fantastic week.

2 comments so far. What are your thoughts?

Anonymous said...

Ooh! You get to see Howl's Moving Castle! It isn't really likely to come to Reno, unfortunately, so I think we're going to have to go down to SF to see it. Argh.

Howl's Moving Castle is the latest from Miyazaki, who is probably the most impressive animator around. He's incredible. If you get a chance to see Nausicaa, do - it's a great story. Spirited Away is a lot of fun, too.

The book Howl's Moving Castle is a bit of fluff, but a fun read - no deep discussions or terribly moving ideas, but worth reading if you have a bit of time and feel like being amused.

Oh, on the subject of books, have you read the Neanderthal Parallax trilogy by Robert J. Sawyer? They were good. 

Posted by Wendryn

Anonymous said...

Isn't it based on a Dianne Wynne Jones novel?

I think I remember reading that somewhere. And yea, it's terrible, but I can't recall having ever seen anything by Miyazaki, though everybody I know has been in rolling ecstatics about this movie and Miyazaki. So it's about time I see what all the fuss i about...

Have not read the Neanderthal Parallax... Must look it up! 

Posted by Kameron Hurley