Thursday, September 15, 2005

You Know You Created a Shitty Character When...

You can substitute another character's name for theirs without changing the dialogue.

heh.

1 comments so far. Got something to say?

Anonymous said...

There was a cool show on the Canadian Learning Channel here -- "Writers' Confessions", basically a bunch of Canadian writers talking about writing in brief interspersed clips.

The number of times I heard one of them say something that I'd heard come out of your mouth back at Clarion or in your blog was... well, not astonishing, because I don't doubt you, but it made me smile.

Nothing terribly deep, but it just had your ring to it. "I write because I have to." "I write because this is the person that I am, and this is the way I express that person to the world."

One older guy had one during the credits I thought you'd appreciate: "This is embarrassing, but I made a... well, I guess you'd call it a suicide pact with myself... I wanted to be a writer, and I wanted to sell a book, and I thought, 'If I don't do it by the time I'm 35, well, life isn't worth living, I might as well get off.' And I did in fact sell one before I hit 35, which was a fortunate thing..."

Not something I've ever heard from you, but it doesn't sound like something you WOULDN'T say. :) 

Posted by Patrick