Sunday, May 20, 2007

The Lies of Locke Lamora



I'm forty pages in (and only that through sheer force of will) and I am BORED TO TEARS.

Band of young thieves gallavanting around a seedy medieval underworld.

And, are there any women in this book? Like, not even POV characters, but, like, secondary characters? "As you know Bob" babes, even, or shit, I'll take a fucking useless love interest.

Does this world have women?

If it doesn't get better in 30 pages, I'm selling it on eBay.

Bloody fucking shame, too. I bought this bastard in hardcover.

2 comments so far. What are your thoughts?

Perpetual Beginner said...

There are women, really, though I can't remember off the top of my head when they show up. There's even more than one interesting enough that she should have gotten more playtime (well, okay, I know that's not a glowing recommendation).

Unknown said...

The book's worth persevering with. There are women in it. Some get some playtime, some are given enough hints of character without ever getting much page-time to make you wonder if they're being saved for their own book.

I hope so anyway.