Thursday, May 10, 2007

Some Things I'm Learning About My Sugar

1) It really is better if I get up between 5-7am instead of 10-11 am. My numbers just look better when I get an early jump start on the day. I'll test around 90-100 between 5-7, but by 10-11, my sugar's already risen cause of the whole dawn phenomenon, and I'll come out at 130-160(!).

2) Jelly beans and graham crackers really are some of the best foods for 50s and 60s low sugar episodes. There's little to no fiber and fat to slow down sugar absorption, so you're not getting initial upswing followed by a delayed upswing that you have to correct later.

3) Cooking up my old Alaska staple of meat, carrots, peas, garlic, onion, tomatoes, parmesan cheese, and rice *without* the rice is actually just as good, and I can save half a unit of dinner insulin.

6 comments so far. What are your thoughts?

David Moles said...

I'll bet that Alaska staple's even better (and lower-carb!) if you cut out the carrots.

(Ew, cooked carrots!)

Kameron Hurley said...

Carrots are GUD. Geez. You just don't know!

David Moles said...

RAW carrots are good. COOKED carrots are a SIN AGAINST NATURE.

Kameron Hurley said...

You are a strange, strange man.

Anonymous said...

Obviously you're not slaying enough wooly behemoths first thing in the morning.

Kameron Hurley said...

BUT I COULD BE.