Thursday, June 14, 2007

By the Numbers

So, I got my first paycheck for a full week of work yesterday, and did the math.

With what I'm making a week, after taxes, I'm making a grand total of:

20K a year.

I'm now working 40 hours a week to make $85 a week more than I was getting when I was on unemployment.

20K a year.

Wow.

What's the poverty line again? Half that, maybe. And the only reason I can make it on this is because I don't pay rent or utilities. Also: no health insurance, no benefits.

Boy, I sure am glad I got all that education just for shits and giggles, cause if I was expecting paychecks...

Fuck.

1 comments so far. Got something to say?

ScottM said...

After taxes is the key: the poverty line includes them I think. You may even be three times the poverty line-- don't you feel rich?