Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Recommended Reading

I've been spending the vast majority of my time reading about ADD, Islam, and copywriting. Yes, it's an eclectic, informative, but incredibly non-relaxing cornucopia of nonfiction. I seriously need a break.

Any recommendations for fat fantasy that doesn't suck? I may pick up the new Daniel Abraham book, I couldn't stand the Lies of Locke Lamora book and so have no interest in the sequel, and Song of Ice and Fire 4 and Kushiel 4 have both gotten so long-winded that I can't stand the idea of picking them up again even to finish wading through them. I even tried to read Kathryn Harrison's non-genre Envy. I love a couple of her other books, but her self-absorbed characters are starting to annoy me.

Got any recommendations?

6 comments so far. What are your thoughts?

Kirsten said...

Terry Pratchett. Very funny and easy to read.

Kameron Hurley said...

Heh. Sadly, I just can't read Pratchett. I've tried, and even once got through most of a book, but funny fantasy is not, in general my cup of tea :)

clindsay said...

Try Auralia's Colors by Jeffery Overstreet. Really good book, and it's not finding the right audience because it was published by a Christian publisher. But the book is not Christian in the slightest. I loved it.

I'm also kinda digging some of the new urban fantasy out there: fun, fast reads like Rachel Caine and Lillith Saintcrow.

Kameron Hurley said...

You know, it's funny, but as I was scrolling through bestsellers and new releases today, I really noticed that "tough female PI/hunter/buff chick in first person POV urban fantasy" genre thing.

I mean, I'd known about Hamilton, but there's, like, a shitload of these series by a *lot* of authors. This tough female PI urban fantasy genre is really interesting. It's a whole genre of Buffy-esque fantasy-adventure for women, like Westerns used to be for guys.

Kameron Hurley said...

And, of course, I also found that very interesting cause GW has the tough female bounty hunter in the future-fantasy-desert-cities thing going on, and I can see the crossover, even if the Nyx books aren't first person and have way better settings. heh

Amy Sisson said...

The Aware by Glenda Larke. Great characters, including strong women, terrific world-building, and lots of action. First in a trilogy, but stands on its own and has real resolution within. And the trilogy is it -- the end. No ten-volume series, this....

P.S. Congrats on the agent representation!