Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Bugpunk

Used in conversation with the web designer working on the GW site, while brainstorming some themes:

"Retro-cyberpunky"

It's funny, when you don't have a word that describes exactly what you want, you sort of just cobble them together from existing words. Because I think what I meant was, you know, steampunk without the steam, but with a little cyber, only organic-cyber.. er, organic punk? er....

Ok, let's be honest. What I meant was:

Bugpunk.

Which is a subgenre of the New Weird.

Trust me.

1 comments so far. Got something to say?

Jeremy said...

I would definitely agree. Bugs seem to feature heavily in China's work, and he's New Weird and stuff.

I don't read too many novels, especially by people I know, but I have to say I am looking forward to reading yours.