Saturday, June 14, 2008

Transformers

That was pretty fucking awesome.

9 comments so far. What are your thoughts?

Anonymous said...

The movie?

Jeremy said...

Really? Really?

Kameron Hurley said...

Yup. Seriously. I thought it was totally awesome.

Social critiquewise, it's a mess, and I have plenty to rant about. But Storytellingwise? Classic boyhood to manhood story, complete with monsters and princesses, just like Star Wars.

But don't goad me into ranting about it, cause there's plenty that - after the happy glow recedes - that I have to be irritated with.

Let me enjoy the dorky boy hero who saves the world and cool fight scenes and magic monsters and fast cars and explosions just a little bit longer.

Kameron Hurley said...

And yeah, I'm already wondering why we don't have more dorky-girlhood-to-womanhood story of the girl-who-saves-the-world from monsters thing.

It's why Buffy was so popular. There's not much else.

Anonymous said...

YOu've only had to sit through it once right? My 7 year old loves it and I bet I have seen it upwards of 50 times...I cannot stand it.

Anonymous said...

I love that movie too, damn michael bay and his penis. I lurk on your blog, and love it. Sorry I haven't posted before now. Good luck with being both happy and productive! If you figure out the trick, please please let me know!

Kameron Hurley said...

I was actually thinking about that as I was watching it... Fun as it was the first time, watching it any more than that and I would start picking through all the holes, and picking apart all my annoyances around the fact that I'm forced to identify with primarily male main characters because those are the heroes of the stories I like best... Where are my dorky girl heroes who save the world?

The Swivet said...

I'm just going to pretend that was the insulin talking...

Kameron Hurley said...

What can I say? It's the 14 year old boy in me who thought The 300 was THE BEST MOVIE EVAH!!!!