Thursday, April 27, 2006

This Is So My Internal Writing Mantra













I love writing fantasy epics. Really, I do.

(via Elizabeth Bear)

3 comments so far. What are your thoughts?

Elizabeth McClung said...

Ditto - well I write apocalyptic fiction so same thing. It's the part when someone asks, "So when you had your character disembowel 14 people and then set the town on fire, what type of archtypical metaphor where you alluding to?"

Uhhhh.....metaphor......right......

Steph said...

Kind of reminds me of that old expression: "The beatings will continue until morale improves"

perianwyr said...

I just can't read fantasy the same way again after reading "The Iron Dream". It just doesn't click like when I was 15. I still have an abiding love of it- I still play RPGs avidly- but I still have this tingling spider-sense going off all along the way.

This doesn't mean that I don't enjoy a good orc-slaughtering, mostly when provoked, but I just can't help but think about who cooks the food, and makes all those lovely orc weapons, and builds all those charming, rustic orc villages. Remember, too, that most historic genocides are a response to rebel provocation.