Sunday, August 06, 2006

Movies

Good Night, and Good Luck - this is why I wanted to go into journalism. Why is it nobody in the news media has a backbone anymore? They all became sideshow entertainers.

Also, I was amused and a little saddened that they felt they needed to run a text-prologue to the film explaining about McCarthy and the Red Scare. These are stories that shouldn't be forgotten.

Antonia's Line - a Dutch (Belgian?) film about four generations of strong, independent women growing up in a rural village in Belgium from the 1940s to the 1990s. Living, dying, fighting, fucking, joy, pain, sorrow, revenge, babies, etc. I was thrilled to see a stout matron filling the title role, too. I think I'm just dying to see heroines that don't look like they're going to fall over in the face of a strong wind.

Also, she gets to shoot a rifle and threaten a rapist with it, and then curse him. It's cool.

3 comments so far. What are your thoughts?

Anonymous said...

Have you seen The Descent yet? Lots of women kickin' butt. :)
-Catrina

Kameron Hurley said...

Ha. No, haven't seen it yet, but despite the fact that I hate horror movies, I did go, "Hey, all female cast of spelunkers. OK, OK, they get terrorized. But all-female cast of spelunkers!!"

Anonymous said...

I'm not a huge fan of horror movies myself, and since all I'd seen/heard about the movie was "girls and horror" my mind jumped to the awfulness of many horror flicks when it comes to the ladies. But it was really good, not that horror-y, mostly jumpy and graphic and tense.

-Catrina