Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Insulin Calculator

Put this Insulin Calculator (scroll to the bottom) at the top of the list of things I wished I'd been made aware of when I first got diagnosed.

It probably took me about 6 months to figure out the exact same conversation rate (base sugar number, plus amount of carbs you want to eat = take X amount of insulin).

It's a neat little pop-up window calculator, but Jenn rigged a spreadsheet for me that does the same thing. Just wish I would have had this a little sooner...

2 comments so far. What are your thoughts?

phishery said...

Hey I am the one that setup D-solve and just noticed your comment on the calculator--we are just about ready to post a palm pilot version--I have been using a spreadsheet like you, but yeah nice to have it be easy as typing in a few numbers. If you use a palm stay tuned for a new post here shortly.

Kameron Hurley said...

It's a really great resource. Kinda sad, though, that I was released from the hospital with the bare minimum of information to keep me alive. I initially had a little chart provided by my doctor that said how much insulin to take based on my number, and then I had a nutritionist come in and say I needed to eat 3-5 servings (45-75 g) carbs *per meal,* and I'd made this assumption that the amount of insulin I took based on that number was inclusive of the carb counts recommended by the nutritionist.

Oh no. Eating all those carbs ran counter to everything I knew about diabetes and carbs in general (I'd done the Atkins diet for years), and that damn Bernstein book saved my life, and certainly maintained my sanity. High, roller coaster sugar makes you fucking crazy.