Thursday, April 19, 2007

Job Offer

Well, my old boss back in Chicago pulled through and made me a job offer. I asked for 45K and a 5K moving bonus. I received a job offer letter for 43K and a 4K moving bonus and a 30-day "free stay" at the company residential "service center" place.

Medical starts right away. 3 weeks vacation after the first year. They'll be operating near my old office (not in Palatine), and I've got a title, "Leasing Specialist" which I assume I'll be trained on how to do, cause I don't do leasing.

But anyway.

Sounds lovely, doesn't it?

The catch?

The catch is, they want me to start on Monday.

This means putting as much stuff as possible into boxes between now and Sunday, buying an overpriced plane ticket ($700), spending the week "working" back in Chicago, then spending the weekend in Chicago finding a place, then flying back to Dayton the next weekend and paying movers to move my stuff to said place.

And working for my old boss. Who, yes, I do love. But the work is hard, and life-consuming. These guys get eaten up by this industry. And I'd be doing it again.

But it's 43K plus health insurance.

If I had money or a job here, I'd say no.

Going to sit down and talk with Ian and Steph about it tonight and decide what I want to do.

5 comments so far. What are your thoughts?

Jeremy said...

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. I wish there were more jobs with the description:

"Decent pay, with little responsibility. Plenty of free time to work on your own projects, and we don't mind. In fact, we encourage it. Full benefits. Apply today."

Kameron Hurley said...

The trick is that I can actually afford to live here for at least another 6 weeks. That gives me time to get my book out, get the Bioware re-writing app done, and etc.

If I fly to Chicago Sunday night and take the job Monday morning, that's not going to happen.

Rajan said...

Good luck, Kameron. I can certainly sympathize. I hope that whatever you decide to do is good for you.

Gigi said...

Goog luck with whatever you decide, Kameron. I know it sucks to have to decide either way. Even if you take the job, don't give up on the book - maybe you can extend your personal deadline by a few weeks to account for the change? And holler if another pair of eyeballs will make a difference. Mine aren't doing much right now.

Wendryn said...

Good luck with the decision. Sounds like a hard one to make. I agree with gigi, too - if you need a proofreader, drop me an e-mail.