Wednesday, November 03, 2004

Jiggity-Jig

More thoughts, from Amanda. Basically, if you're a woman, poor, and/or a minority, you're fucked.

But we knew that already.

I'll be here in Chicago (hey, at least it's a blue state - our buddy Obama is headed east) until summer 2006 (I'm committed to finishing out my time as Jenn finishes her Ph.D.). I was flirting with going back to Alaska, perhaps living in Juneau, but it looks like I'll be doing a year or two overseas. London or Auckland (our company has offices in both of these locations) would be great, though Our Friendly Neighbor to the North exists for a reason as well. Terribly friendly people there --

They've been taking in disillusioned patriots like me since 1775.

4 comments so far. What are your thoughts?

Anonymous said...

Hey Kam -

First up, commiserations on the election result, which certainly doesn't reflect the opinions of all the Americans I know. And secondly, this is a really cool blog, which I have been looking in on more recently but am hopeless about posting on.

But, thirdly - if you're considering fleeing the country for more liberal climates, I feel obliged to point out NZ's advantages :) We have, currently, a liberal government, with women in the three most powerful positions (Prime Minister, Chief Justice and Governor General), decriminalised prostitution, reasonable access to abortion (a recent private bill to get parental notifications for under-16s got nowhere very quickly) and a civil union bill going through parliament.

Unfortunately, what we also have is an election next year and an opposition party who've decided to run on racial politics (i.e. stop compensating Maori for colonial land grabs etc), which does get votes (where opposition to civil unions and "morals" don't, interestingly; sex is much less of an issue here). And I may be working in Australia then, but then nothing's perfect...  

Posted by Miriam

Anonymous said...

Hey Miriam!

Glad you like the site. And yea, after that two weeks in NZ, I've been hooked. I really want to do another couple years abroad before 30. My company's got an office in Auckland, and it's a hell of a lot cheaper than London. And, as you pointed out, the government ain't half bad either. Though we'll see how things go next year...  

Posted by Kameron Hurley

Anonymous said...

You know, living in San Francisco is ALMOST considered living abroad by much of the country. 

Posted by Patrick Weekes

Anonymous said...

I think that according to people from, say, Texas or Georgia, San Francisco IS a different country.

No, "if"s or "almost"s. 

Posted by Kameron Hurley