Wednesday, November 03, 2004

Post-Concession Bagels

Am currently enoying some post-concession bagels here at work. Half our office voted dem. the other half, for Hitler. So it's a mixed post-concession bagel bag.

In other worklife news, one of our two accountants left her husband and kid, left her keycard in the office, and got on a plane Friday. She hasn't come back, so our head of HR fired her, and only half-jokingly asked if I was interested in learning accounting.

Sure, why not? Give me a hardhat and a couple months training with Sarah our Construction Manager, and I'll be able to run this office all by myself.

Ha.

5 comments so far. What are your thoughts?

Anonymous said...

Only someone who is to young to have experienced someone like Hitler would call this man Hitler. Why is it you sensitive, loving, and caring liberals are always calling someone names. Not being a conservitive or liberal I have problems with both sides. For the last three days I have stood with people holding signs for one candidate or the other. Except for the signs they were the same. We are all the same and maybe we should learn to quit talking over each other. When we start listening to each other, that is when things will change. Politics and religion are why people kill each other in this world everyday. Roe V Wade isn't going anywhere. There are to many moderates in this country that believe in your right to choose what you do with your body. So quit calling people names, and start listening to why people feel the way they do. You might be surprised to find that we really are the same. 

Posted by Jack

Anonymous said...

There's no doubt that this election brings out the passions in people.  

Posted by Kameron Hurley

Anonymous said...

I was unaware that I was on the ballot in Illinios, but I would like to thank the half of your office that voted for me.

P.S. THE DEMS GOT SERVED! 

Posted by Steven Hurley

Anonymous said...

Nope. Fuck it. I was going to let this one slide, but you know what, I'm really angry. I'm angry at being patted on the head and told, "No, darling, everything's going to be all right." Because I've been told that my whole life, and nothing ever changed, and it just made me more pissed off.

"Roe V Wade isn't going anywhere."

All at once? No. Of course not. It starts with this: it starts with a ban on partial-birth abortion (done). It starts with forcing girls under 16 to get parental notification (this just passed in Florida, and is legal in several other states). Then you say, well, you know, some fetuses are viable in the second trimester if you hook them up to machines for a few months, so let's ban all second trimester abortions. Then it's, "Let make girls wait six weeks to think it over," so by the time the date's up, they're already in their second trimester and boo-hoo for you, cause Roe is solid, right!?

Right. And if miss boo-hoo wants to take it to the Supreme Fucking Court boo-hoo to her too, because it's going to be packed with Republican judges. And they'll say, "You should have known better." They'll smack her on the hand and she'll get on a welfare-to-work program and people will bitch about having to pay taxes to support women like her.

All this, without a word about the dumb fuck who's oh-so-valuable semen got the whole shit started.

And, as for Hitler --

Progression. Little things. It's not all at once. Do you think the Germans would have stood for anybody getting up on a podium one day and saying, "Slaughter all the Jews! Take over the world!"

No.

It's "Austria's like Germany anyway, go on through!"

It's "Fuck it, Poland's close enough! Nobody cares about Poland!"

It's "Let's bomb the fuck out of Afghanistan! After all, terrorists are there!"

Then it's, "Well, Saddam's a bastard too!"

North Korea. Iran. Fuck the United Nations. We'll withdraw.

Do I believe both candidates sucked? Yes, I do. Do I believe one may have sheltered the interests of women, minorities, and the poor more than the other? Sure. That's why I voted for him.

As for name calling, why call me a liberal? I'm not calling you a Hitler-sympathizing conservative, cause I don't know you. I don't know who you are or where you come from. I'm not attacking you, I'm attacking a system of governance that's seeking to disenfranchise me. That's my right. First amendment.

I would love to listen to you. Seriously. Don't take all the swearing to heart: I swear when I'm pissed off. Not pissed off at you: pissed off at this system.

And yes, I'm horribly, horribly confused. Over half of the people who voted looked at the exact same information I did, and they concluded that it would best serve this country to put somebody back in power whose record has consistently shown that he's a failed businessman who's now in charge of the biggest treasury in history, and he's seeking to restrict women's rights to reproductive health, and he puts the interest of big businesses ahead of human lives in Iraq. That's what I saw.

I've looked at the same record, and I've come to far, far difficult conclusions than the majority of this country.

That's my problem, sure. *I* have to live here in a country that doesn't like me, with the vast majority of people who hate me cause I believe "gay people" are people too, and I still continue to live here because I'm an American, because my family members have fought, do fight and will fight for my right to be here, and I will continue to fight for their peacetime rights (and my own).

I'll do it because I'm fucking stubborn, and I'm tired of people trying to shut me up and placate me with pats on the head about "all being right" with the world.

Are we the same? Yes. Sure. If you had the right to vote, you're likely an American. You're a human being. We both live here, so there must be things that we like.

The difference is, this administration scares me, because I've see other administrations like it, and I've watched the slow lead-up to war and fascism. In person, no? But I've seen and heard it through the eyes of others, and I'm vigilant. That's my job. I think it's everybody's job, to protest in the face of fear.

End of Rant. Amen. Praise Allah. Fuck it all & etc.

 

Posted by Kameron Hurley

Anonymous said...

Steven Hurley, oh-only-brother-of-mine, I have only this:

When you get drafted to go to Iraq, I get to say, "Well, you voted for him."

nah-nah

Nothin' but love, my brotha'. 

Posted by Kameron Hurley