Monday, January 17, 2005

Repeat After Me:

My attraction to Yellow is based purely on looks and familiarity. Yes, motorcycle riding would be fun. Yes, he is a nice person. He is funny. He can be dorky. But he's not a real dork. He's the sort of guy who would take me out, but hide me from his friends, cause I'm not the sort of woman he "should" be dating (read, thin blond stewardess. Yes, he once regaled our group with news of a date with a blond stewardess who "wouldn't stop talking").

No, I am not batshit-fucking-insane about him. I do not angst over him. He doesn't read books. He is convienent to sigh over for about four days a month (what would we do the rest of the time?). So, what's the point? I'm fucking busy, not tossing and turning about him - I know exactly what the sighing's actually about: he's the only single guy of about my age and close enough to my type who I actually interact with on a semi-regular basis. He merely looks very pretty today, walking through the office.

I appreciate that.

Ah, hormones. Just that: hormones. Funny, how I still have that little social twinge: no, no, I can't just be sexually attracted to somebody, I have to pretend I'm romantically crazy about him.

Actually, no. I can appreciate that I'm not nuts about him. He's just damn pretty.

Social pressures on repressing female desire? If-I'm-hot-on-him-I-have-to-figure-out-how-to-marry-him? When that's absolutely not what I want at all?

Funny.

4 comments so far. What are your thoughts?

Anonymous said...

This has got to be a record for posts, but they 're pretty amusing today. My unsound thoughts:
That thin blonde stewardess probably is not much the marrying type either. Tell yeller he's nice eye candy today. He'll probably be flattered. If not, it might set up some interesting dynamics... I know not something to recommend for the workplace, right? 

Posted by VJ

Anonymous said...

No, no no no no no.

No encouraging Yellow. Nothing. Nada. I remain as aloof as possible, despite the attraction; in fact, because of it. I think it's rude to lead people on who you have absolutely no long-term interest in, and I've never been able to figure out how to do the causal sex thing. And yea, I work with him.Baaaaaaad idea. I've been very good about it. 

Posted by Kameron Hurley

Anonymous said...

That's really an intelligent, 'grown up' approach there. Me bad. But like where would they get 1/2 of the guests for Jerry Springer w/o such activity? 

Posted by VJ

Anonymous said...

This sort of thinking sounds like when I'm eyeing guys at the gym that I'd never actually get involved with. Ugh.  

Posted by Jennifer