Wednesday, August 18, 2004

WTF?

I was randomly trolling through blogs on blogger (there's not much to do at work today) and found this.

In another of the posts, these two buddies share food thoughts.

Why is it I'm still so amazed when I discover other people who are as paranoid about food as I am? This is America, people.

5 comments so far. What are your thoughts?

Herself said...

after i read that i felt sad

grace said...

you think that's bad? check out this chick's blog... it's awful:

http://mymagro.blogspot.com/

Kameron Hurley said...

It's weird, isn't it?

Weirder because I know a lot of people (myself included) who identify with it. We're so terrified of food that we have to hide in our rooms: it just fuels the binge and purge cycle all over again.

I need to break out a copy of Holy Feast, Holy Fast, which I recommend to anyone interested in learning more about the link between religious peity and food. The link goes back before that, of course. I need to start reading. This food mania fascinates me.

Kameron Hurley said...

RE: mymagro's blog.

Holy crap. No more anorexic's blogs, OK?

And: the meaning of "magro"

--Mauger probably comes from a Scots word maugre 'lean; starved-looking'. The Scots word is a variant of English meager, which usually and familiarly means 'deficient in quality or quantity; scanty', but which originally meant 'lean'. Meager (in British use, meagre) comes through Old French from Latin macer 'lean'. There are cognate forms in Germanic languages (mager in Danish, German, Norwegian, Dutch, and Swedish), and descendants of the Latin word in Romance languages (magro in Italian, Spanish, and Portuguese), so there is the additional possibility that the English word mauger derives from or was influenced by one of these forms, depending on the settlement history of the regions where mauger was in use.---

exile said...

Some blogs are good, while others remain quite vacuous. The grabba girls need to get over themselves (insert pun). take a look at my blog and let me know what you think, writer to writer kind of thing.

Exile
http://exileindustries.blogspot.com/
Original_exile@hotmail.com