Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Does This Stuff Creep Anybody Else the Fuck Out?

Just... creepy.

5 comments so far. What are your thoughts?

Anonymous said...

Sort of, and with a morbid fascination. But it occurs to me that the work necessary to maintain women in that comatose state as mere incubators isn't nearly as cost-efficient to the patriarchy as having us walking around taking care of ourselves and taking care of *them*, so wide-scale applications do not worry me. Just ugly occasional uses.

Mind you, if brain-dead women can be used to carry pregnancies like that, they should totally repell the laws that forbid the harvesting of sperm from comatose males. 

Posted by Ide Cyan

Anonymous said...

I'm a little creeped out by the fact that keeping the body of a woman alive so that her husband, the child's father, can carry out what he believed were his wife's wishes, creeps you out to that extent.

An earlier article on the same topic:

http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&click_id=3&art_id=vn20050617065651438C497820

"I hate seeing her on those darned machines, and I hate using her as a husk, a carrying case, because she herself is worth so much more," Torres said in an interview in USA Today newspaper. "But Susan really wanted this baby..."

...

"There's not a glimmer of doubt in my mind that this is what she would have wanted," Torres said. "Any chance at all to save the baby, and Susan would have said 'Let's go for it'."

You know, yeah, it's possible that he's a patriarchal bastard who just wants to pass his seed one one more time, and darn that woman for having cancer in the first place, but I don't see anything in that story that makes that version more likely than "Susan would have wanted to do this. Susan would have thought it was worth it." Yeah, it'd be great to have quotes from Susan herself saying as much, but not many 26-year-old people have those talks, and if they do, they don't always write that stuff down. They should, no doubt, but they don't.

So... no. No, it doesn't creep me out. It makes me sad that a woman died (that's what I'm reading between the lines on their "no comment" stuff regarding the woman), but she really died quite some time ago, and her husband was using her body to do something that he believed she would want. And it makes me a little sad that your initial reaction to this was to decide that the husband was doing something evil and creepy.

I mean, the Damsel and I had some vague talks along these lines, but nothing formal. If something had happened to her and I were faced with that kind of decision, I'd be flying blind, trying to guess what she'd want to do if she could tell me. Knowing what she'd already gone through for us to have a child, I'd probably have decided she wanted me to try to help the baby survive, doing whatever I could with the blessing of whatever part of the Damsel still remained.

And apparently, then, I'd be a patriarchal creep by your standards. 

Posted by Patrick

Anonymous said...

Patrick, yea, the reason I'm so weirded by this one is that yes, I understood him saying it was his wife's wishes, but it still creeped me out. I found it really, really creepy, the idea that my body would be held in stasis so a kid could grow in it. But yea, it's her wishes, soooo...

It's the gray conflict that creeps me out more than anything. I don't want to be creeped out because it's what she wanted, but damn, I'm really creeped out. It freaks me out on a more general level, that image.

Also, the more I post, the more I seem to piss off you and Brendan. I'm not sure if this is an issue of me getting more militant, or you guys reading what my expected opinion into things must be and feeling attacked.

Dunno. 

Posted by Kameron Hurley

Anonymous said...

There's no denying the fact that growing a child in a dead woman's body is creepy. It's life-affirming and even pulling joy from pain in a twisted way -- but, yes, ew.

However, lots of things about living in squishy organic bodies are creepy or gross or both. How about the fact that a man can still father a child twenty minutes after he dies? Also creepy. And gross.

I guess what I'm saying here is that I see your point, Patrick -- but Kameron, where you're coming from is also perfectly clear. 

Posted by Katharine

Anonymous said...

I'd imagine the reason this is so creepy is that we've all been exposed to sci-fi stories in one way or another that involve alien entities taking over and sucking the life out of a human body. When the woman is alive and reveling in the joy of her growing child, it's one thing. When the woman is dead and only being kept alive so the baby can feed off of her, it's something different, because the woman's consciousness is no longer taking part in that otherwise happy experience. 

Posted by BLR