Thursday, April 27, 2006

tDW Final Counts:

I'll do some more trimming for the final version, I'm sure, but I was doing counts last night, and here's where it stands:

Initial version completed May 2003: 202,183 words

Next version completed 2004: 183,000 words

Version that went out to agents: 141,465 words

Current version: 118,872 words

120K is a decent count for an epic fantasy. 140K was pushing it.

I do, however, love the idea that I basically cut 60K from the first version: I took out the equivalent of an entire book.

Revision fascinates me.

2 comments so far. What are your thoughts?

Elizabeth McClung said...

I hate revision, I love revision. congrats on getting the book down to a lean under-120K. The greatest problem I see with writers (published) is word bloat - just think of Stephen King's slim Firestarter compared to the later works or even Robert Jordon - once published and in demand, it seems writers love to love themselves. Dorothy Sayers said that her rewrites eliminated or changed 7 out of every 10 words. That's quite the challenge.

Hope your book gets accepted quickly!

Kameron Hurley said...

If I ever get this series contracted and published, I have several readers who are to KICK MY MOTHERFUCKING ASS if I ever become a wordy, verbose Jordan (you guys know who you are).

Though I'd like to make whatever he's making with those books.

Ideally, I want to do something with the rocking, crisp holy-crap-all-this-shit-is-going-on feeling of Zelazy with the more epic feel of something by Robin Hobb or George R.R. Martin.

I want adventure, character, setting, plot, epicness, but not excess.

Dare I say it --

that would feel a little self-indulgent.

heh heh