Tuesday, May 23, 2006

"I Have Wrestled With Death"

"I have wrestled with death. It is the most unexciting contest you can imagine. It takes place in an impalpable greyness, with nothing underfoot, with nothing around, without spectators, without clamour, without glory, without the great desire of victory, without the great fear of defeat."

Joseph Conrad (1857-1924), Marlow, in Heart of Darkness (1902).

(thanks, Jenn)

4 comments so far. What are your thoughts?

Unknown said...

Kameron, I hope this link cheers you up:

http://rumandmonkey.com/widgets/toys/pirate/define.php

Unknown said...

I screwed that up: Go to this link:

http://rumandmonkey.com/widgets/toys/pirate/define.php?id=229141

and click on (4) that you are a woman pirate -- check out the pic, good for cheering you up

Unknown said...

I mean click on number (5) -- gee I'm batting a thousand tonight...

kate.d. said...

i love heart of darkness, because of this little excerpt and the dozens more like it throughout the book. i'm kind of surprised that it wasn't too dark for me when i first read it at 17...but it's definitely not too dark for me now!

hope you're doing well.