Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Gormenghast

You know what the *real* problem is with the BBC production of Gormenghast?

The problem is, Jonathan Rhys-Meyers is really fucking hot, and the director even manages to employ several ingenious ways of getting gratuitious shots of JRM without his shirt on. OK, yea, that's good, I know. But here's the bad part:

JRM plays a Sneering Villain. And Sneering Villains: not so hot. So while I sigh and squirm over the long, lingering shot of JRM's beautiful bare back and shoulders, I am then thrown out of said reverie the moment he turns around and *sneers*.

Blast!

Can't somebody please put him in more roles like the one in Bend It Like Beckham instead of Misogynist Jerk #4 in Vanity Fair? I have the same problem with Ryan Gosling. I found him incredibly repugnant in Murder By Numbers, and then wanted to leap out of my chair and drag him home after The Notebook. I'm wondering if this is the real mark of a good actor: they can transcend their good looks, so you'll find them appealing or disgusting based entirely on their performance, and not based purely on their looks.

This is why I couldn't watch Red Eye, either, though Jenn loved it. Not only is the uber-cute and lovely Rachel McAdams getting terrorized (and the idea of Rachel McAdams getting terrorized makes me want to run out and save her!), but the Bad Guy is Cillian Murphy, who I mooned over (once he shaved) in 28 Days Later, but is far, far less appealing as a Crazy Jerk.

Bad guys just aren't sexy.

Blast!

And I still have one whole disk of Gormenghast to go....

5 comments so far. What are your thoughts?

Jeremy said...

Cue 50 people pointing out the bad guys that _are_ sexy.

I can't think of any right now myself, but I'm sure someone will... 

Posted by JeremyT

Kameron Hurley said...

Well, you know, there *are* some people who really get off on bad guys. Or, rather, bad guys they think they can turn good.

Just so happens I'm not one of them..

David Moles said...

I should warn you that he’s also kind of creepy and fucked-up (albeit ultimately tragic) in Ride with the Devil, except that I think you should see it anyway, so maybe I’d better not.

Jeremy said...

Ride with the Devil is a brilliant film, at least the 3rd or so that I saw of it. I really need to rent that one and watch the whole thing. Any movie about the pillaging of your home town should be required viewing.

Kameron Hurley said...

Well, Devil is already in my Netflix queue... Hopefully can get to that one next month.

And, at this point, I've pretty much given up on seeing JRM in any more "nice guy" roles, however much I pine for them. I think people are casting him as a certain "type," sadly.

He would have made a very cute, dorky Schmendrick in The Last Unicorn. I'm so fucking pissed they cancelled that project.