Wednesday, September 19, 2007

The Dresden Files

Why do they cancel good shows?

No, seriously, why? What's the politics of this?

Let's take a show about a perpetually single guy wizard and his ghost-in-the-skull assistant who gets to help out these distressed-but-oh-so-not-weak, usually very kewl, romantically inclined female characters, throw in a tough female police lieutenant who he can work with and have lots of sexual tension with, and then....

Cancel it.

Let's do that, because, you know, too many good characters here, too many roles for Women Who Don't Completely Suck (no, it doesn't bother me that they're often hot on the geeky male lead - that's the genre. If it was a woman wizard [omg the kewlness!] I'd expect the same sort of men [and possibly ladies!] being romantically inclined toward her thing), too much fun and world building.

I mean, for fuck's sake, Buffy got seven seasons.

Granted, OK, I've only see the first disc of shows. But COME ON people.

This is why I don't fucking watch TV, because people keep canceling Firefly, Carnivale, and shows like The Dresden Files.

Fuckers.

The politics of these decisions are just baffling.

3 comments so far. What are your thoughts?

Unknown said...

It's even more maddening because they put on crap like the new Flash Gordon which is, by all accounts, one of the worst things on television.

I thought the Dresden Files was a little shaky when it started, but I came to appreciate it as it gained its legs. I was disappointed to hear that they canceled it.

clindsay said...

I thought the first episode was weak, but it got progressively more engaging. Really well worth saving. And I agree about the ( :: gah :: ) Flash Gordon.

On the other hand, I was all set to love Painkiller Jane. Tough and empowered chick as the lead? Hell, yeah.

I gave it this whole season, but - wow - was it painful to watch. Bad acting, bad writing. Just plain bad. Sigh.

Perpetual Beginner said...

At least the books are still being written. That's something.

Still, yeah. Every time I fall in love with a show - Poof! Sometimes I don't even find in until after it's been cancelled.