Thursday, November 22, 2007

Perfume: the movie

I really didn't expect them to keep the orgy at the end.

Really, really didn't expect that.

But, there it was, in all its glory.

Actors were so-so, nobody was very well characterized, and I didn't much care when anyone died, but the images were pretty and it's an interesting sort of fable.

Still has the same problems as the book, which I know I blogged about at some point, but can't find in my archives. Suffice to say, the whole "random murder of random women" thing gets old. Why are all 13 scents the scents of women? Would it have had the same effect if he distilled men? Why not? And, you know, I get bored with movies where all the female characters are bought, sold, captured, killed, locked up, mutilated, and/or distilled.

It gets old.

3 comments so far. What are your thoughts?

croquembouche said...

Sad. This seemed like it had kind of an interesting premise.

Orgy? Ew. I don't care if it's stupid, I just really don't enjoy watching people have sex in movies and stuff. Is that weird? (For the record, I have no problem with people doing all kinds of consensual sexy stuff...I just don't wanna watch.)

Kameron Hurley said...

I still think it was an interesting concept, this guy who's got an amazing nose and tries to distill the "soul," basically.

But I think that after awhile, you get a little tired of the whole women-as-objects thing in films, especially after seeing so many in a row with crappy, generic female characters who exist as pretty faces and nothing more.

croquembouche said...

Oh yeah, the idea is still interesting, but it would bug me to no small end that he only goes after women, especially if none of the women are actual characters and are instead just pretty things to be used.

Movies have been disappointing me lately :( I am in mourning for the awfulness that was Beowulf. :P

Maybe Sweeney Todd will be good.